At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Software Development Technical Engineer Job Description
You will join:
The Beams (BE) Department, which is responsible not only for the operation of all of CERN's accelerators, but also for a number of the specialised technologies and disciplines required for the design, construction and operation of particle accelerators.
The Radio Frequency (RF) Group, in the BE Department, which is responsible for RF technology and the operation of the RF acceleration and transverse damping systems in all the CERN accelerators. A significant part of the RF group's activity is dedicated to accelerator upgrades and new projects.
The Servos & Controls Interface Section, in the RF Group, which is a cross-disciplinary team that provides expertise in all aspects of digital control of the RF systems, including hardware design with programmable logic, digital signal processing, process control with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), real-time control using VMEbus and PC front-end computers, and application software running on operator consoles.
As a Software Development Technical Engineer in the Servos & Controls Interface Section, you will be working at the interface between hardware developers and the controls and operations teams. You will more specifically:
- Design, develop, test and implement:
- Real-time control software for the digital beam control and feedback systems being developed for the LHC Injector Upgrade project , using the CERN Front End Software Architecture (FESA) framework, running on VME systems under Linux.
- FESA supervision software in C++ for the PLCs controlling the high-power RF systems.
- Application software for commissioning, surveillance and expert interventions on the RF accelerator equipment.
- Work in collaboration with hardware developers in the RF group's Feedback Section to provide tools for efficient firmware and software development.
- Collaborate with the Controls (CO) and Operations (OP) Groups in the integration of RF equipment into the accelerator control system and the CERN LSA (LHC Software for Applications) operational software environment.
- Contribute to the first-line support provided by the group for the operation of the accelerators.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.10.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation controlled areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Software Development Technical Engineer Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in the field of software engineering, or equivalent.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Experience of software development for hardware or equipment controls in a research or industrial environment.
- Demonstrated experience with C/C++. Experience in Java or Python would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of Linux would be an advantage.
- Programming/Software development.
- Design of real time control system.
- Installation, maintenance & operation of Control systems.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages. Ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Software Development Technical Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Software Development Technical Engineer Summary
0 - 2 years
5 - 10 Years
> 15 years
||Geneva, , Switzerland
||Software Development Technical Engineer, Software Development, Technical Engineer, Programming, Software Design, C, C++, Java, Phyton, Hardware