At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Full-Stack Software Engineer Job Description
You will join the Research and Computing Sector, where the Scientific Information Services supports scientists at CERN and beyond to find the information they need. Our Open Access Section builds and operates infrastructures to make articles and data freely available.
Together with other senior members of the team, you will be re-launching an entire new service built on modern technology (ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Flask, Celery, Redis, OpenStack, Docker); you will architect innovative crowd-sourcing services to allow our users to create connections across the information in our database; you will first-hand develop front-end and back-end solutions; and most important you support and mentor the junior developers at the core of the team.
As INSPIRE Full-Stack Software Engineer in the Open Access Section you will:
- Manage project-wide requirements in collaboration with the product manager, articulating technical solutions, and setting priorities also in partnership with other senior team members.
- Oversee system design and architecture changes for new and existing service features.
- Take responsibility for the entire development cycle of new features: from writing specifications, prototyping and testing, through deployment in production, both orchestrating others' contribution and directly contributing code.
- Lead and coach junior software engineers to deliver and integrate specific INSPIRE components.
Full-Stack Software Engineer Job Requirements
- Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing, computer science or a related field.
- Experience designing architectural patterns of a medium web application (e.g. high-availability, efficient algorithms, well-designed APIs, and security).
- Track-record with system design (relational databases, asynchronous processing, search engines).
- Familiarity with complex (Open Source) projects and an Agile development approach.
- Initial experience leading a small team of junior developers.
- An understanding of front-end challenges (UI/UX, client-side application architecture) would be an advantage.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures.
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software.
- Communicating effectively: checking to ensure that the message has been well understood demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion; taking appropriate corrective actions and adapting work / project plans if necessary.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; debating at the table and engaging in constructive confrontation of ideas.
Eligibility and closing date:
- Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or to make oral presentations.
- Knowledge of French or the willingness to acquire it rapidly would be an advantage.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.09.2018.
Full-Stack Software Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Full-Stack Software Engineer Summary
0 - 2 years
||Europe > Switzerland > Geneva, , Switzerland
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Next below to continue.Next