Electric cars have the potential to benefit everyone tremendously. Not only do they provide a way to reduce emissions and thereby provide us with cleaner air in our cities, electric cars are an important part of the solution to mitigate climate change.
At Lightyear, we love electric cars and know they will prove a turning point in history. We started the Lightyear because we could not just be bystanders of the electric car revolution. We have a very strong drive to accelerate the introduction of electric cars around the globe.
Mechanical Design Engineer Motors Job Description
The In-Wheel Motor Team is responsible for the design and development of the propulsion system of Lightyear One and will develop the majority of the in-wheel motor system in-house. IW motors have strong advantages in terms of efficiency, mass, vehicle handling, packaging space compared to more conventional drivetrain architectures. It will become a fundamental system for Lightyear as an EV solar car platform. Ultimately, it will ensure independence, long range, reliability, minimum total cost of ownership over lifetime and all-road capabilities for the Lightyear One.
You will develop the IW motor system together with a highly cross-functional engineering team with backgrounds in: mechanical-, thermal-, software-, control-, electrical engineering, test- and vehicle dynamics engineering.
The primary focus of the role is mechanical design of the mechanical support structure of the in-wheel motor: i.e. motor packaging, definition of interfaces with electromagnetic components (rotor and stator) and interfaces with vehicle dynamics subsystems (wheels and suspension).
You will drive the mechanical design and development of the in-wheel motor casing based on first principle thinking. You are responsible for component selection and sourcing (such as bearing and sealing) and take the lead in contact with related partners.
- Use model based design practices and analytical tools (Excel/Matlab Simulink) to translate requirements towards initial sizing of designs: i.e. dimensions, weight, cost, electrical and thermal performance estimates
- Create high quality 3D-models that can be integrated in the overall vehicle design using Catia V6 (preferably)
- Develop component models to support prototyping and testing of components and systems
- Conduct thermal and structural analysis FEA software to analyse and validate components of your mechanical design for a broad range of test cases
- Responsible for prototype delivery up to launch using 3D-printing, laser cutting and injection moulding
- Evaluate components for cost efficiency and reliability
Mechanical Design Engineer Motors Job Requirements
- A Bachelor or Master degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Knowledge of rotary electromotors, motor design, systems design, structural analysis, materials science and heat transfer.
- Knowledge of design for manufacturing (DFM), design for assembly (DFA) and Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA) .
- Experience developing a product from concept to production
- At least 2 year professional experience with mechanical design of motor or propulsion systems (Student Formula, Solar Team or Hyperloop team is also valid)
- 2 years hands-on experience with 3D modelling software (Catia preferably)
- 1 year experience with structural FEM simulations (Ansys preferably), thermal is preferred
- 1 year experience in applying model-based design practices with MATLAB/Simulink.
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and written
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and lightweight, recyclable and sustainable materials
- Fluent in English (Dutch preferred)
What do we offer
- You are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skill-sets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
- Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines with general requirements and wide responsibility
- High level of autonomy
- A multidisciplinary team of highly motivated and talented people
- A fast growing organization with lots of opportunities
- The ability to challenge the status quo and have a positive impact on a fast changing world
- 30 holidays
- Excellent travel expenses
- We are building towards the future every day, we started in 2016 and we're making big steps. We are also building and improving our conditions for our employees. For example we offer a very interesting option to invest in shares of Lightyear as an employee. We would like to discuss these possibilities in a personal conversation!
Mechanical Design Engineer Motors Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Mechanical Design Engineer Motors Summary
10 - 15 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||FMEA, DFM, DFA, Catia, 3D modeling, MATLAB, Simulink, communication,