Electric cars have the potential to benefit everyone tremendously. Not only do they provide a way to reduce emissions and thereby provide us with cleaner air in our cities, electric cars are an important part of the solution to mitigate climate change.
At Lightyear, we love electric cars and know they will prove a turning point in history. We started the Lightyear because we could not just be bystanders of the electric car revolution. We have a very strong drive to accelerate the introduction of electric cars around the globe.
Thermal Engineer Job Description
We are Lightyear, we envision a shift from traditional environment polluting vehicles to clean and affordable mobility. It is our mission to disrupt the electric car market by providing zero emission mobility for everyone, everywhere. Our first offering is a zero emission solar electric car: The Lightyear One. The Lightyear One is the answer to the shortcomings of today’s electric vehicles. It is a beautifully designed, unplugged, energy independent car, powered by the sun.
The high driving range of Lightyear One will only be possible with an optimized thermal management system, that will keep the electronics at an efficient operating temperature and the consumption of the HVAC at a minimum. You will be challenged to design, develop and build efficient and innovative thermal solutions that are essential for determination of the vehicle systems: motors, battery and HVAC. This is a multidisciplinary and cross-functional role, within the team of thermal management, that interacts with engineers from electronics, exterior, interior, vehicle dynamics and software teams. Your domain expertise will be highly welcome to consult team members on complex thermal problems.
- Use your thermal design skills to drive product definition and design in collaboration with other teams.
- Impact product design decisions by providing reliable analysis and thermal insights.
- Accurately predict thermal performance in vehicle architecture phase, by modeling thermal components (e.g. heat exchangers).
- Maximize thermal performance while balancing cross-functional interests.
- Participate in team design reviews and technology investigations.
- Define and guide thermal experiments to characterize thermal materials components and systems.
- Analyze thermal test data and prepare reports.
- Communicate status and results to cross-functional teams and management.
Thermal Engineer Job Requirements
What do we offer
- Completed a MSc or higher in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering or similar with a focus on Thermal Engineering, Heat Transfer, Fluid Dynamics, Fluid Machinery and Aerodynamics.
- At least 2 years working experience in a similar role, preferably within automotive
- Strong first principle thinking capabilities in the thermal domain. You are able to solve problems from a blank sheet to provide first sound answers on challenging problems.
- Solid engineering intuition to come up with pragmatic thermal solutions. You can architect, design, simulate, test and build. At the same time, you are comfortable with thinking out-of-the-box to integrate the best applicable solution.
- Experienced in modeling system architectures of HVAC, battery cooling, motor cooling and solar panels cooling.
- Experienced with setting up, simulating and post-process and interpret thermal simulations with respect to thermal analysis, heat transfer, conduction, convection, radiation and fluid dynamics.
- Experienced with software such as Matlab Simulink, GT Suite or Kuli (or similar), Ansys and/or Simscale in previous working experience.
- Available for 40 hours a week.
- Fluent in English, Dutch proficiency is a plus.
- High level of autonomy
- A genuine, open, multidisciplinary working environment with highly motivated and talented people
- A fast growing organization with lots of opportunities
- The chance to challenge the status quo and have a positive impact on a fast changing world
- A front seat position, being instrumental to Lightyear’s fast growth towards an automotive OEM
- Excellent travel expenses
- 30 holidays
- We are building towards the future every day, we started in 2016 and we're making big steps. We are also building and improving our conditions for our employees. For example we offer a very interesting option to invest in shares of Lightyear as an employee. We would like to discuss these possibilities in a personal conversation!
Thermal Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Thermal Engineer Summary
Aerodynamics / Flow / Fluidics
10 - 15 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||automotive, solid engineering, HVAC, battery cooling, motor cooling, solar panels cooling, architectures, Matlab Simulink, GT Suite, Kuli, Ansys, Simscale