At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Electronics Technical Engineer Job Description
As an Electronics Technical Engineer, you will design CERN's electronics infrastructure and systems. You will also be involved in producing, installing, commissioning, operating and maintaining CERN’s electronics infrastructure and systems, notably those required for the accelerator complex.
In the Technology (TE) department*, Machine Protection and Electrical Integrity (MPE) group, you will take responsibility for the design, procurement, implementation and exploitation of custom-made electronics for the LHC quench protection systems of the superconducting magnet circuits.
- Design and develop custom-made, highly reliable electronics used in safety critical protection applications for the accelerator superconducting magnet circuits
- Participate in the commissioning, operation and maintenance of the hardware components of the protection system for the superconducting magnet circuits of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)
- Contribute to the development and commissioning of state-of-the-art automatic test equipment
- Organise acceptance tests and ensure the effective reception of new electronics
Ensure the availability of various protection systems during the LHC's operation
- Prepare and compile relevant documentation
- Maintain and update the databases related to the maintenance and operation of the various components
Contract type: limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: TE-MPE-EE-2019-1-LD
Electronics Technical Engineer Job Requirements
- Extensive experience in the design of both analogue and digital electronics with an emphasis on AC/DC and DC/DC conversion, filtering, FPGA and microcontroller based electronics, simulation tools and generation of PCB layouts
- Extensive experience in the testing of electronics and in the measurement techniques.
Initial experience in power electronics and related controls (e.g. design of capacitor banks to store electrical energy, power switches)
- Initial experience in the development of state-of-the-art, automated test systems for analogue circuit boards
Experience in the following domains will be valued:
- Commissioning and operation of complex industrial and/or scientific electronic systems
- Assembling of electronic crates, racks and cabinets
- Design of high-voltage electronic circuits (< 2.5 kV)
- Design in signal integrity and EMC electronics
- Design and simulation of analog and FPGA-based electronic circuits
- Knowledge of radiation effects on electronics and mitigation techniques
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits: commissioning, operation and maintenance of electronic systems
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; and using time efficiently and effectively
- Achieving results: being rigorous; and producing quality results at first attempt
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems; taking action to address them; recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information; and being able to see the whole picture
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations
Electronics Technical Engineer Application Information
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Electronics Technical Engineer Summary
0 - 2 years
||Geneva, , Switzerland
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Next below to continue.Next