At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Software Engineer Job Description
You will join:
- The IT Computing Facilities (CF) Group which is responsible for management and operation of the Computer Centre and associated Computing Facilities. This includes the procurement of servers and storage with related validation activities, as well as planning the needs of procurement and retirements. The Group also provides and supports tools for the automated operation of large scale computing facilities as well as an up-to-date hardware inventory for equipment installed.
- The Service Management Section (SM), is the team looking after all 'Service Management' activities for the IT Department and ensuring ITIL implementation with the commercial software ServiceNow.
More information on the Department is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep.Functions
As Software Engineer in the IT-CF-SM Section, you will become a technical reference for the 'Service Management at CERN', a joint service run by the two departments SMB and IT. You will also play a key role in maintaining a good relationship and communication between the IT department and CERN users, including the implementation and maintenance of the CERN Service Status Board (SSB).
Your main functions will include:
- Coordinate, implement and maintain Service Management processes in the CERN ITSM system (ServiceNow);
- Develop, document and deploy integrations to other systems;
- Take part in the day-to-day operational support, such as performance monitoring, diagnostic and resolution;
- Plan, test and document new releases;
- Contribute to standardization and automation of business workflows;
- Provide training and documentation to users.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization
Software Engineer Job Requirements
- Demonstrated experience with a modern ITSM tool and a very good understanding of ITIL or similar best-practices framework for Service Management;
- Practical knowledge of a software development life-cycle concept;
- Previous experience with relational databases and Web technology;
- Experience with User and service support;
- Previous experience working in an international environment would be an asset
- Design of databases/repositories: very good understanding and experience with relational database technology
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: extensive knowledge of scripting languages, web services, software development processes and techniques
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software: understanding of the concurrent lifecycle process of engineering in order to measure and improve quality of software
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software: understanding the principles of incremental and logical integration of components in order to create operational services
- Very good spoken and written English
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly
Software Engineer Application Information
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.03.2019
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Software Engineer Summary
CAE / CAD / CAA
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||Geneva, , Switzerland
||IT Computing Facilities, Service management processes, Automated operation of large scale computing facilities, Web technology, Design of databases/repositories