At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Computing Engineer Job Description
As a Computing Engineer in the IT-CM Group, you will maintain and evolve the CERN compute services across a wide range of technologies needed to support Large Installation System Administration, which includes Configuration Management solutions, Linux Operating System internals and Remote Installation systems, Search Engine Services, as well as Interactive Logon Services used by a large (+20000) user Community.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Advice and solution design for our users and the LHC experiments' staff in the setup of computing services according to established configuration and installation services and CERN Compute services.
- Automation using Agile/DevOps tools such as Puppet to support running IT services.
- Daily management of the services which includes providing engineering level expertise, deployment of software packages, performance and availability monitoring and computing security.
- Contributing developments to Open Source communities such as Puppet, Linux and OpenStack.
- Coordination of major deployments such as new releases of software and operating systems.
- Definition, documentation and implementation of procedures following the ITIL recommendations.
- Close collaboration with other IT groups, departments and physics experiments at CERN.
Computing Engineer Job Requirements
- In depth knowledge of Linux operating systems.
- Performance Analysis of Installation Services to scale them to adapt to an ever changing world load with special focus on performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability, automation.
- Significant open source upstream contributions and involvement in communities.
- Previous experience using scripting languages such as Python or Go.
- Integrate software with existing systems, such as the CERN OpenStack Cloud.
Experience in the following fields would be an asset:
- Networking protocol development experiences.
- Experience in Linux kernel development, embedded Linux and/or Linux device driver experience.
- Storage experience and/or virtual machine experience.
- Installation, operation and maintenance (preventive and corrective) of computing systems: deliver and support properly-engineered IT services and products to meet the needs of CERN.
- Knowledge of system configuration tools: analyse sub-optimum procedures, streamline and document new ones; optimisation of existing tools and selection of the most appropriate one.
- User relationship management: handling of special user requests; development of technical expertise within the team; organisation of large scale deployments.
- Change management: coordination of changes within and outside the Group.
Computing Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Computing Engineer Summary
Cloud computing / technology
10 - 15 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||Geneva, , Switzerland
||Computer, database, network, linux, computing, software, algorithm, mathematics, python, Go, OpenStack Cloud, agile, DevOps
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Next below to continue.Next