At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
CNC Machining Technician (Milling) Job Description
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact and provide insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a proactive, collaborative, multi-tasking, flexible technician? Would you like to work in a technical environment with complex and large-scale installations? Join CERN and put your skills and expertise to the test on some of the world's largest and most complex machines, fabrication, and development workshops. CERN, take part and apply your practical and analytical skills to a wide range of technical challenges!
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Mechanical & Materials Engineering Group (MME) that provides the CERN community with specific engineering solutions combining mechanical design, fabrication and material sciences. The MME group maintains and develops the expertise on the mechanical construction of beam accelerator components and physics detectors. The MME group involves a large spectrum of highly specialized activities, including on-site fabrication facilities and sub-contracting, CAD design and advanced calculations.
- The Machining & Maintenance Section (MA) uses a wide range of state-of-the-art CNC machining technologies, with a tradition of knowledge and technology developed for particle accelerator applications and dedicated in-house facilities.
As an experienced CNC milling machine technician, you will:
- Join an existing team of technicians and engineers, contribute with hands-on, practical work, and extend current knowledge and practices.
- Develop machining and manufacturing methods for fabrication of high-precision prototypes and components for accelerators and experimental facilities.
- Contribute to the whole fabrication process of product design, materials, and parts, programming, and tooling on CNC machining centers, including assembly methods.
- Setup and perform a wide range of machining tasks including machining and CNC programming.
- Fabricate complex setups, write and edit programs as required to meet quality and fabrication requirements on various types of CNC and conventional machining equipment.
- Fabricate holding fixtures as required to maintain quality and safety.
- Formulate machining sequences for the manufacture of standard and non-standard high-precision parts.
- Write documentation and execute quality control on the machined parts.
CNC Machining Technician (Milling) Job Requirements
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics, with specialization in machining or a related field.
- Demonstrated, hands-on experience in operating state-of-the-art CNC and conventional milling machines.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with advanced programming of CNC milling machines.
- Experience leading a team in a small mechanical workshop would be an asset.
- Programming and use of CNC machine-tools and machining centers: CNC milling at an advanced level, including programming (e.g. HEIDENHAIN or SIEMENS).
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation: definition of methods, process, preparation, planning, manufacturing drawings, and control.
- Knowledge and application of conventional dimensional metrology: ISO dimensioning, tolerancing, 3D and 2D technical drawing and perform conventional dimensional metrology on marble.
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts: feed raw materials into machinery, cutting tools selection, perform machining, monitor the fabrication process, improve processes.
- Processing of metals and alloys: knowledge of materials properties and their machinability (e.g. stainless steels, copper and its alloys, aluminum, and its alloys, titanium, etc).
- Achieving results: delivering high-quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organized approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Spoken and written English or French.
- Ability to understand the other language would be an asset or you will be expected to acquire it rapidly.
CNC Machining Technician (Milling) Application Information
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.05.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
CNC Machining Technician (Milling) Summary
0 - 2 years
||Programming, CNC machine-tools, HEIDENHAIN/SIEMENS, 3D and 2D technical draw, process, preparation, planning, manufacturing drawings