The ESRF is the world's most intense X-ray source and a centre of excellence for fundamental and innovation-driven research in condensed and living matter science. Located in Grenoble, France, the ESRF owes its success to the international cooperation of 22 partner nations, of which 13 are Members and 9 are Associates.
The ESRF - The European Synchrotron Radiation Facility - is the most intense source of synchrotron-generated light, producing X-rays 100 billion times brighter than the X-rays used in hospitals. These X-rays, endowed with exceptional properties, are produced at the ESRF by the high energy electrons that race around the storage ring, a circular tunnel measuring 844 metres in circumference.
Each year, the demand to use these X-ray beams increases and near to 9000 scientists from around the world come to Grenoble, to “beamlines”, each equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation, operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Software engineer Job Description
As part of a team of 12 engineers and technicians, you will participate in the development, the maintenance and the support of the Accelerator Control System. This system is distributed over several hundreds of computer hosts and embedded systems.
Your missions will be:
- Manage the archiving systems for the accelerator control system. i.e. maintain and monitor the archiving system infrastructure, develop new features, support users.
- Organize the software engineering methods and tools for improving software quality (including versioning, continuous integration, packaging etc.).
- Evaluate, select and deploy a web programming solution for the accelerator control system in coordination with the Tango community.
- Participate in software developments for interfacing equipment within the control system. You will specifically be in charge of the software for Radio-Frequency systems at ESRF.
- Develop and/or maintain any control system software requested by internal clients.
- Participate in the on-call service duty and/or shift work for up to 10% of working time.
Software engineer Job Requirements
- Higher university degree (Master or equivalent 300 ECTS diploma) in Computing Science, Software engineering or related areas .
- Strong skills in object oriented software architecture and large distributed systems required (5-7 years experience).
- Experience in software development in C++, Java and/or Python.
- Experience in software management techniques, quality insurance, open source code projects, git, unit testing, packaging, deployment.
- Knowledge and experience in database programming.
- English proficiency (working language at the ESRF); knowledge of French is necessary.
This position requires frequent interaction and exchanges with people of different skills such as physicists, equipment specialists or electronic engineers, for specifying and commissioning of the software, therefore good communication skills are fundamental.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
Software engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Software engineer Summary
5 - 10 Years
|| C++, Java, Python, git, unit testing, packaging, deployment.