ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of chip-making equipment.
Our vision is to enable affordable microelectronics that improve the quality of life. To achieve this, our mission is to invent, develop, manufacture and service advanced technology for high-tech lithography, metrology and software solutions for the semiconductor industry.
ASML's guiding principle is continuing Moore's Law towards ever smaller, cheaper, more powerful and energy-efficient semiconductors. This results in increasingly powerful and capable electronics that enable the world to progress within a multitude of fields, including healthcare, technology, communications, energy, mobility, and entertainment.
Working at ASML
We provide the world’s top chipmakers everything they need to create better performing, cheaper semiconductor chips. Simply put: we are an industry leader supporting industry leaders.
As such, you’ll be encouraged to bring your best ideas and act on them. You’ll have the freedom, trust, and support in your field to experiment and solve complex challenges. Things are rarely dull when you’re constantly breaking new ground.
But despite our fast-paced environment at the forefront of tech, we take your work-life balance and wellbeing seriously. A business is only as good as its employees.
So join us, and you’ll be a part of a global collaboration. One that promotes creativity, the inclusion of highly diverse teams, and an exciting and dynamic work environment. Join us, and you’ll be a part of progress.
Intern 2020 Optics Engineering @ ASML/Cymer Job Description
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
As the world’s leading semiconductor lithography machine (the machine that makes computer chips) manufacturer, ASML enables chip manufacturers to make cheaper, faster, chips, thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The machines we make require high speed, magnetically levitated stages with sub-nanometer accuracy, robotic mask delivery systems, mechatronic devices to shape and correct the laser illumination source, and optical modules that can detect sub-nanometer alignment errors and pattern distortions. Temperature controlled to milli-kelvins, particulate free, and operating in complete vacuum, the technical challenges are endless. Solving these requires expertise in servo controls, mechatronics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, embedded software engineering, optics, physics, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The position requires a strong technical individual contributor to:
- Work in a team environment alongside local experienced engineers on real-life mechatronic topics
- The actual intern project will be joining a team to work on solving an actual issue or design challenge the group is facing at the time. Specific tasks will also be tailored to match the education / experience level of the intern as well as the interns learning objectives for the summer.
- By joining the team you will be given assignments which will allow you perform some autonomous work (modeling, data collection, data analysis, test execution in the lab or clean room) as well as some supervised and/or collaborative work.
- The specific work of this project includes:
- Assemble and test laser and sensor modules on Lithography System in a clean room environment
- Conduct Optical Bench Top experiments for characterizing laser, sensor and optical components
- Perform Image and Signal Processing for data analysis purposes
- Perform physics or optics simulations for hardware performance estimations
- The goal of the internship is for you to learn about working in a corporate setting and to provide hands on experience solving real world problems in a team environment.
- Interns will typically be required to document and present their findings as well as making an end of summer presentation to the group about what they achieved during their internship.
Intern 2020 Optics Engineering @ ASML/Cymer Job Requirements
- Current active students BS (at least completed Junior year), MS or PhD in Physics or Optical Engineering.
- Electrical Engineers with optical lab experience will also be considered.
- Must have GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Possess strong ownership characteristics and commitment to achieving results on time
- Have strong English written and oral communicative skills Be a demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Possess a creative mind in order to find novel design solutions
- Have strong problem solving skills and the ability to take initiative
- Be willing to be “wrong” at times and be open to the ideas of others
Context of the position
- Be a demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Have strong analysis and problem-solving skills and the ability to take initiative
- Be detailed oriented
- Be open to the ideas of others
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Responsibilities include periodic travel to regional and overseas sites for product technical support and special support projects.
- Work may include onsite technical support involving heavy lifting of equipment & modules.
- Position will require technical work activity in a clean-room production environment and/or laboratory setting
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Occasionally may be exposed to loud noise bursts and may be exposed to toxic gases (fluorine).
- Must be able to work in small, confined spaces.
Intern 2020 Optics Engineering @ ASML/Cymer Application Information
- Multiple positions available for Summer 2020
- Relocation assistance and/or housing is not provided for these internships.
We are committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and the business. EOE
Intern 2020 Optics Engineering @ ASML/Cymer Summary
0 - 2 years
||San Diego, United States
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Next below to continue.Next