At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Database Engineer Job Description
As a Database Engineer in the Database Services (DB) Group, your main activities will consist of:
- Database administration of production databases (Oracle RAC, other technologies) through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configuration and support of database platforms: architecture, evolution, migration, upgrades, and patches, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Consultancy, assistance, and advice to end-users, including database design.
- Development of software modules following IT-DB guidelines and project needs.
- Sharing domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and training to peers.
Database Engineer Job Requirements
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Computing Science or science discipline (e.g. Physics) with significant computing content or a related field.
The successful candidate should have demonstrated experience in the following fields:
- Operation of large scale production database environments.
- Technical and troubleshooting skills with relational Oracle databases.
- Performance tuning, query optimization, replication techniques, clustering, partitioning and security issues.
- Backups, restores, recovery.
- Additional experience in the following fields would be an asset:
- Experience on different databases (PostgreSQL and MySQL) and/or NoSQL databases.
- Knowledge of SAN and NAS storage.
- Database operations experience in an Agile development environment - Exposure to puppet configuration management.
- Administration of databases: familiarity with large-scale and high-availability database environments.
- Knowledge of operating systems such as Linux, knowledge of enterprise storage management (SAN or NAS) would be an asset.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages; SQL knowledge is required. UNIX shell script, Perl, or Python programming would be an advantage.
- Capturing and analysis of requirements for ICT systems, ability to collect the needs of users and to manage the different phases of a project.
- Architecture and design of ICT systems, ability to design systems that fulfill the requirements and can be maintained efficiently.
Database Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Database Engineer Summary
Cloud computing / technology
0 - 2 years
||Performance tuning, query optimization, replication techniques, clustering, Database Engineer
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Next below to continue.Next