Flanders Make is the strategic research centre for the manufacturing industry. From our sites all over Flanders, we stimulate open innovation through excellent research. In addition, companies can work together with us in a custom innovation traject. Finally, we also offer an extensive range of testing and validation infrastructure for your products or production.
Our goal is to contribute to the technological development of the vehicles, machines and factories of the future. By doing so, we create added value for the manufacturing industry. Together we help companies innovate better and faster. In addition, we attach great importance to international cooperation in the field of innovation and to participation in European research projects.
Today Flanders Make counts 600 researchers who work full-time as a unique research community on a joint industrial research agenda.
We operate from our offices in Leuven, Lommel, Kortrijk and Sint-Truiden
Hardware-in-the-Loop Test Engineer for Electric/Hybrid Vehicle prototypes (Lommel, Leuven) Job Description
Flanders Make researchers are developing technologies for the design and production of high-performance, flexible and autonomous machines and vehicles, rethinking the drivetrain setups of electric/hybrid vehicles. New solutions are tested on our demonstration and validation infrastructure in controlled conditions.
Improve drivetrain performance with hardware-in-the-loop tests
For different mechatronic applications, you will:
- Work in a team, where you will simulate via Hardware-in-the-loop the behaviour of vehicles and components like thermal, power or performance parameters for batteries, supercapacitors or electric motors…;
- Use, expand and manage the test setups, working closely together with technology experts in different domains (sensing, control, software architecture, software integration, automation, robotics, vehicle dynamics, testing).
More concretely, you will:
“I will rebuild the machine or part of it and do all necessary tests to show that the concept works. I ensure that the tests are carried out, but I am also involved in designing and setting up the test plan. … For me, a technical job with a lot of variety is ideal. One moment you sit together with someone who builds cars, the next moment you discuss the options with someone manufacturing wind turbines or copiers or ...”
- Organise virtual and experimental tests
- You define the test plan of research projects together with the project team;
- You design and implement resources for test automation (e.g. Labview);
- You create, adapt and validate virtual models prior to experimental tests;
- You define the hardware instruments for experimental tests;
- You perform experimental and mixed virtual-experimental tests.
- Post-process test data and analyse outcomes together with the team
- Define the scope of what we can do
- You know your infrastructure and identify the scope and timing of the research solutions we can offer to companies;
- You detect new business opportunities.
- You formulate the requirements for newly required equipment or software.
- Coordinate the technical infrastructure
- You build new infrastructure, prototypes of intelligent vehicles/machines & test setups for companies;
- You adjust existing infrastructure to new research needs;
- You ensure that all equipment and infrastructure functions safely and optimally at all times.
(Koen, Test Engineer since 2007 @ Flanders Make)
Hardware-in-the-Loop Test Engineer for Electric/Hybrid Vehicle prototypes (Lommel, Leuven) Job Requirements
Hands-on Technical Researcher
*We are looking for candidates with a Bachelor’s as well a Master’s degree. Your tasks and responsibilities will depend on your competences and talent. You will have the opportunity to further develop yourself and take on more responsibilities over time.
- A degree in Engineering* (Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical Engineer, Mechatronics, Material Science, Power Electronics…);
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in an academic or industrial environment, preferably in instrumentation and testing or in mechatronic or mechanical designs;
- Expertise in electric or hybrid drivetrains or hardware-in-the-loop testing is a big plus;
- Affinity with vehicle dynamics or experience in an automotive context is also a plus, as is experience in a safety-critical test environment;
- The ability to easily familiarise yourself with the use of different software packages. Daily use of mechanical design packages.
Flanders Make – Test and validation infrastructure videosThis promotion video for companies gives you a good view of the infrastructure you would be working with in this job.
- Inspired by technological innovation;
- Eager to widen your knowledge of other domains and new manufacturing processes;
- Pro-active and take initiative;
- A professional communicator in English;
- Hands-on, making your hands dirty in the lab is a pleasure;
- Open-minded and a team player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qf_ui9wmBoGregory Pinte, R&D manager at Flanders Make, discusses in this video our test and validation infrastructure. He explains how our state-of-the-art facilities help companies to innovate faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvvTj1-CA5sSample video of the development of demonstrators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv1ynbcTc-0&feature=shareFlanders MakeFlanders Make
is the strategic research centre for the manufacturing industry. From our sites in Lommel
we stimulate open innovation through excellent research.
Our purpose: realising a top-level research network in Flanders that delivers full support to the innovation projects of manufacturing companies. In this way, we want to contribute to new products and production processes that help to realise the vehicles, machines and factories of the future.
Because of our unique position between industry and research, our teams combine application and system proficiency with technological and scientific knowledge.
We focus on 4 key competences, all based on modelling and virtualisation:
1. Decision & Control
2. Design and optimisation
3. Motion product specification, architecture and validation
4. Flexible assembly specification, architecture and validation
Most test infrastructure is located at our site in Lommel with some new expansions at our site in Leuven. Depending on the location of the infrastructure
and your place of residence, you will chose to work in our offices in Lommel or in Leuven. You are able and willing to travel to the other site in a frequency of 1 day/week.
Hardware-in-the-Loop Test Engineer for Electric/Hybrid Vehicle prototypes (Lommel, Leuven) Application Information
Convinced? Send your motivation letter and cv
Which part of our infrastructure appeals to you the most? Do you feel you can contribute to our research with your expertise? Do you share our values and our mission? We are looking forward to reading about your story and your interest in Flanders Make and in our infrastructure.
To apply, click our quick application link below, or go to http://jobs.flandersmake.be. There you can fill in the online application form and upload a motivation letter and cv.
Hardware-in-the-Loop Test Engineer for Electric/Hybrid Vehicle prototypes (Lommel, Leuven) Summary
10 - 15 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||simulation, testing, hardware, experimental testing
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Next below to continue.Next