At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Mechanical / Thermo Mechanical Engineer Job Description
At CERN, helium needs to flow like water from a tap. CERN is the world's largest particle physics laboratory and its flagship accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider, depends on having an unrivalled set of cryogenic systems on hand to guarantee reliable operation. To sustain and extend its discovery potential, the LHC will need a major upgrade in the 2020s, known as High Luminosity LHC (HL-LHC). New large scale cryogenic infrastructure interfacing with existing machines and cryogenic distribution lines will be required.
The Cryogenics (TE-CRG) Group is in charge of the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the cryogenic systems for CERN accelerators and detectors, of the operation, maintenance and upgrade of cryogenic test facilities as well as of the management of the industrial support contract for maintenance and operation of cryogenic systems. It also provides support for low-temperature developments and tests at the Central Cryogenic Laboratory as well as consultancy and support in cryogenic design and cryogenic instrumentation.
As a member of the Cryogenics group, you will:
- Perform functional analysis of the cryogenic process to fulfil users' requirements
- Carry out thermo-mechanical and thermo-hydraulic design and analysis of cryogenic equipment.
- Draw-up technical specifications of cryogenic components and systems (refrigerators, distribution systems).
- Take responsibility for project management and quality control.
- Carry out market surveys, material procurement and production follow-up.
- Supervise teams on the design, construction, assembly, installation, testing and commissioning of cryogenic equipment.
- Manage the associated technical documentation for the Quality Assurance Plan.
The work requires collaboration with persons and services inside and outside the Organization.Eligibility conditions
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 23.11.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Mechanical / Thermo Mechanical Engineer Job Requirements
Master's degree or PhD in the field of Applied physics, Thermodynamics, Mechanics or Process engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the design of industrial processes and/or in the field of commissioning of complex electromechanical plants.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and/or international partnership.
- Experience in dealing with complex industrial processes, involving cryogenics or vacuum technologies, would be a major asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of thermodynamics: cooling process and regulation, heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
- Thermo-mechanical design: thermo-mechanical analysis; rotating machinery.
- Project management: manufacturing, commissioning.
The language competencies required are:
- English or French: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Mechanical / Thermo Mechanical Engineer Application Information
Please apply using the apply button below and remember, you found this opportunity via Qreer.com
Mechanical / Thermo Mechanical Engineer Summary
Micro / Nano Technology
Aerodynamics / Flow / Fluidics
0 - 2 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||Mechanical Engineer, Thermo Engineer, Thermo, Thermodynamics, Process Design,