At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Electrical or Electro-mechanical Technical Engineer Job Description
As an electrical or electro-mechanical technical engineer, in the CERN TE-MSC-SCD Section, you will work on the development, prototyping, production and characterization of high-current superconducting cables for the superconducting magnets of the CERN accelerator complex, and in particular the high-current superconducting Nb3Sn Rutherford cables developed in the framework of the high-field magnet program for the LHC upgrades.
- Take responsibility for the operation of existing cabling machines and associated equipment used for quality control of the cables, in particular in the design and development of tools for performing mechanical and geometrical measurements on the cables.
- Organize material reception, acceptance tests, and storage of superconducting strands and cables.
- Design procedures and follow up the preparation of samples for optical image analysis and for other specific measurements performed at room temperature on strands and cables.
- Design inserts for the measurement of electro-magnetic and mechanical properties of superconducting strands and cables at cryogenic temperature.
- Participate in the development and assembly of sample holders used for the characterization of strands and cables at cryogenic temperature.
- Participate in the design and operation of cryogenic test stations incorporating high-field superconducting magnets.
- Report on procedure and results of measurements, both in written form, and through presentations, as required.
- After a period of familiarization you will participate in the supervision of technical team members.
The activity will involve interactions with different teams and services at CERN, as well as external laboratories and industry.Eligibility and closing date :
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Electrical or Electro-mechanical Technical Engineer Job Requirements
Bachelor's degree in the field of Electricity or electromechanics, or equivalent.
Bachelor's degree in the field of Electricity or electromechanics, or equivalent*.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
The experience required for this post is:
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Proven experience in electro-mechanical equipment design, construction, operation and maintenance;
- Experience in laboratory activities, tests and measurements.
- Experience working with cryogenic equipment would be an advantage.
- Experience in the field of test and measurement or superconducting cables would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the properties of materials at cryogenic temperatures would be an advantage.
The language competencies required are:
- Commissioning & maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Knowledge of the design principles of cryogenic test stations and associated equipment.
- Design, and operation of cryogenic test stations for electrical tests.
- Design and assembly of inserts for electrical measurement of superconducting wires and cables.
- Measurement techniques and laboratory activity, data acquisition.
- Basic knowledge of superconducting materials.
- Knowledge, manufacturing, follow-up and QA of production of SC strands and SC cables would be an asset.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as the ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts or the willingness to learn the other language.
Electrical or Electro-mechanical Technical Engineer Application Information
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.03.2017.
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Electrical or Electro-mechanical Technical Engineer Summary
0 - 2 years
5 - 10 Years
> 15 years
||Geneva, , Switzerland