At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Accelerator Operator Job Description
You will join:
- The Beams department (BE), responsible for the beam production, beam and accelerator physics, beam diagnostics, radiofrequency, controls and performance optimization for the entire CERN accelerator complex including the LHC.
- The Operations Group (OP), responsible for the operation of all CERN's present and future accelerators, their associated Experimental Areas and for monitoring the overall technical infrastructure at CERN.
- The Super Proton Synchrotron Section (SPS), a dynamic 14-strong team that runs the SPS, which is the second largest machine (7km circumference) in the CERN accelerator complex. Besides injecting beam into the LHC, the SPS delivers beam to experiments in the North Area, to a material test facility (HiRadMat) and the proton driven plasma wakefield acceleration experiment AWAKE. The SPS is also heavily used as test bed for the LHC. Further details on the SPS Section activities can be found at: https://be-dep-op-sps.web.cern.ch
As member of the SPS operations team, you will:
Note on Employment Conditions
- Be part of the 24/7 shift team that runs CERN's accelerator complex.
- Oversee the operation of the SPS accelerator and the associated Experimental Facilities on a shift basis, ensuring the application of safety rules.
- Take initiative in the optimisation of the SPS accelerator performance individually or in close collaboration with the team of accelerator physicists by preparing and performing machine tests, measurement and accelerator studies.
- Troubleshoot beam physics and technical accelerator related problems, using a range of powerful diagnostic tools, perform data analysis and ensure a solution will be implemented with the expert support from the different equipment groups.
- Outside periods of shifts, and after a training period, you will participate in software or hardware related development and maintenance for one or more of the accelerators in the complex, either under the supervision of an engineer within the OP group or within the framework of a specialized equipment group in the Department.
- Outside periods of accelerator operation, assist the technical infrastructure team with the monitoring of CERN's technical infrastructure, if required.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years.
Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Accelerator Operator Job Requirements
Higher technical diploma in the field of Physics, Computing, Electronics, Electricity or Electromechanics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Initial work experience in a technical or scientific environment.
- Experience in the field of physics, computing, electronics, electricity or electro-mechanics.
- Experience in the field of or accelerator operation and/or accelerator related hardware would be an asset (e.g. measurement devices, power converter techniques, vacuum equipment, PLCs, work in controlled radiation areas, etc.)
The language competencies required are:
- Accelerator operation.
- Accelerator performance analysis & optimization.
- Commissioning and maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Programming/Software development: knowledge of java would be an asset.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.These functions require:
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Accelerator Operator Application Information
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 06.04.2017
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Accelerator Operator Summary
Electronics / Components
0 - 2 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||Geneva, , Switzerland