The EIB is the European Union's bank. We are the only bank owned by and representing the interests of the European Union Member States. We work closely with other EU institutions to implement EU policy.
A major player
As the largest multilateral borrower and lender by volume, we provide finance and expertise for sound and sustainable investment projects which contribute to furthering EU policy objectives. More than 90% of our activity is focused on Europe but we also implement the financial aspects of the EU's external and development policies.
Environment Impact Assessment Specialist Job Description
The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Secretariat General (SG) - Advisory Services - JASPERS Department (JASPERS) – Water and Wastewater Division, a:
Environment Impact Assessment Specialist
This is a full time position at grade 5/6
Appointments will be made on a basis of a fixed term contract of 3 years with the possibility of prolongation
The post will be located in the JASPERS offices in Bucharest or Vienna or Warsaw
JASPERS (Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions) is a tri-lateral partnership between the European Commission (Directorate-General for Regional Policy), the EIB and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), with the aim of helping EU and Acceding Countries achieve better access to EU Grant Financing under the Cohesion and Structural Funds and the Instrument for Pre Accession II, with particular emphasis on providing technical assistance in the preparation of eligible infrastructure projects. In the context of the Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) 2014-2020, the high expected workload in the water sector, and with the expansion in the scope of eligible countries and mandates, including the Instrument for Pre Accession II (IPA II), JASPERS is seeking to identify suitable candidates for one present positions.
The successful candidate will assist, within a multidisciplinary team and in close cooperation with the European Commission Directorate-General Regional Policy (DG REGIO), beneficiaries in the EU Member States and accession countries to prepare projects in the water sector (water supply, wastewater, flood risk management and coastal erosion protection) to be co-financed by the Structural and Cohesion Funds. The jobholder will report to the Head of the Water and Wastewater Division in JASPERS and will work closely with other colleagues (project engineers, economists, environmental experts) working in the division.
The post will be located in one of the above mentioned JASPERS regional offices. The Expert will be appointed to work as part of a team of engineers, economists, and environmental specialists in the Water and Wastewater Division of JASPERS. S/he will report to the Head of Division and will be responsible for a portfolio of projects in JASPERS countries of operations or horizontal actions at Division level. S/he will work closely with Managing Authorities and project promoters in their countries of responsibility on assignments attributed by the Head of Division.
The successful applicant(s) will be responsible for a broad range of expertise delivery; s/he will in particular:
- Manage and execute technical assignments for project preparation support and technical assistance to JASPERS’ promoters on eligible projects within the Action Plan, in particular regarding compliance with the environmental acquis;
- Provide technical inputs and analyses for the assessment of water projects (water supply, wastewater, flood risk management, coastal protection) submitted for EC co-financing, including from Cohesion Fund (CF), European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), and IPA fund
- Advise on
- The conceptual development and structuring of projects and the analysis of alternatives, taking into account environmental and climate change mitigation and adaptation considerations;
- The integration of environmental and climate change mitigation and adaptation considerations in the conceptual development and structuring of projects;
- The specific aspects of projects such as compliance with the environmental acquis, mainly: SEA, EIA, Habitats and Water Framework directives;
- Integrating climate change mitigation and adaptation considerations into the project preparation process;
- Review the key steps of implementation of the environmental assessments (SEA, EIA, appropriate assessment, assessments under the Water Framework Directive) procedures; quality of the screening exercise, scoping reports, public consultation process, consultation with other authorities and other Member States in case of transboundary impacts, etc.
- Review and control quality of the environmental impact statements, appropriate assessment, the assessment under the Water Framework Directive, and the climate change vulnerability and risk assessment;
- Assess project compliance with EU environmental legislation and conformity with EU environmental policy;
- Assist in the review, preparation or completion of applications for funding under the CF or the ERDF;
- Develop, through the implementation of model projects, the dissemination of international best practice, and the skills needed to increase capacities for good quality preparation of good quality EU co-financed projects;
- Address horizontal or thematic issues which are limiting the EU co-financing absorption capability in the drinking water treatment and supply, wastewater collection and treatment and flood risk management sectors ;
- Share her/his own information and experience in the preparation of projects with other members of the team in order to enlarge the knowledge and competencies of the team;
- Support the activity of other EIA specialists in JASPERS ensuring a coordinated approach to EIA review process;
- Develop and maintain, in close co-ordination with the Head of Division, external contacts, including the corresponding units in the European Commission, public authorities and managing authorities in JASPERS countries of operations.
- Relevant University degree in engineering, environmental sciences or other domain relevant for the sector.
- Minimum 5 years' of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the implementation of EU environmental assessments directives, mainly preparing EIA and AA reports and assessments under the Water Framework Directive for major infrastructure projects, NTS and/or reviewing environmental assessments statements; candidates with experience in carrying out environmental assessments for major infrastructure projects co-financed by the EU will have an advantage;
- Preference will be given to candidates with:
- Familiarity with relevant EU environmental and structural funds legislation (ESIF/CPR);
- Familiarity with relevant European Commission guidance documents;
- Familiarity with international best practice in her/his field of expertise;
- Previous experience in a coordination role;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English. Knowledge of one or more languages of the countries where JASPERS operates would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of standard IT tools;
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
Please apply online via the 'Apply'
Deadline for applications: 5th June 2017We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability
Environment Impact Assessment Specialist Summary
10 - 15 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||Bucharest or Vienna or Warsaw, Luxembourg
||Vacancy, Full-Time, Luxembourg, Bucharest, Vienna, Warsaw, water sector, JASPERS, technical, consultant, quality control, engineering, environmental sciences
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Apply below to continue.Apply