At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Electronics Specialist (Design and Operations) Job Description
Electronics Specialist (Design and Operations) in the Beams Department (BE), Radio-Frequency Group (RF).
Two posts are open in the Group, one in the PS team, the other in the SPS Team.
As Electronics Specialist (Design and Operations), you will design electronic modules for the control and acceleration of proton and ion beams in the CERN accelerator complex. Some modules are custom-designed, others are from industrial suppliers, and your task would then be the design of the specific firmware and software. These modules contain high performance Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) or system on chip (SoC) for fast signal processing implementing field regulation algorithms, data logging and interfacing with the control system. The digital part is often preceded by analogue electronics converting RF signals in the 10 MHz - 1 GHz range to an intermediate frequency that can be sampled with today's ADC's.
Initially you will participate both in the RF electronics upgrade project and in the operation of the existing electronics, thereby gaining the necessary understanding of acceleration of charged particles. Most CERN accelerators will be stopped in 2019 and 2020, when you will work full-time on the RF electronics upgrade project, which must be completed before the accelerators restart in 2021.
For either post, you will in particular:
- Participate to the operation and maintenance of existing RF electronics.
- Develop firmware and embedded software to implement signal processing in FPGA.
- Design mixed signal electronic modules containing a large digital processing part and RF electronics for legacy crate standards as well as most advanced standards.
- Design script for hardware tests, set-up and commissioning.
- Follow up production, integration with other accelerator components in close collaboration with colleagues.
- Provide support for operation, including participation in an on call service during weekends, nights and public holidays.
- Produce and manage the associated technical documentation.
Electronics Specialist (Design and Operations) Job Requirements
Bachelor in the field of electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for these posts is:
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Experience in the design of digital electronics including firmware.
- Experience with the use of modern tools for the design of firmware and embedded software.
- Experience with the use of modern measurement instruments.
- An interest in Beam Physics and the interaction between accelerator RF systems and the particle beams.
The language competencies required are:
- Design of electronics for digital control systems and loops.
- Design of electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA).
- Analog circuit design, modelling and simulation.
- Spoken and written English or French, with the ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations or willingness to acquire this skill rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 11.07.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Electronics Specialist (Design and Operations) Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Electronics Specialist (Design and Operations) Summary
FPGA / VHDL
PCB design / testing
0 - 2 years
2 - 5 years
||Europe > Switzerland > Geneva, , Switzerland