At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation) Job Description
You will join:
- The EN Department that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Cooling & Ventilation Group (CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining and operating cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems and large scale fluid distribution systems for the whole Laboratory, in particular in accelerator and experiments underground areas.
- The LHC Section (LHC) within the CV Group in charge of the installation, maintenance and operation activities of CV installations on the LHC accelerator complex; the size of these plants can range from small systems up to large scale of several MW.
As a member of the CV Group, you will be in contact with a wide range of people, collaborating in installation projects and in operation and maintenance aspects of the existing CV plants. You will be expected to follow to completion the activities, with varying degrees of complexity, in these fields.
As an autonomous, proactive team player, collaborating with project engineers and various other technicians who are all experts in their own fields, you will:
- Monitor, operate and perform patrols on cooling and ventilation installations (cooling plants, air-conditioning systems, water pumping stations, compressed air and chilled water production units and networks), perform problem analysis and optimize working parameters with respect to operational needs.
- Follow-up on and coordinate construction work on cooling and ventilation installations (water pumping, compressed air, chilled water production, and ventilation systems) to ensure compliance with safety rules, technical standards, contractual documents as well as within the established schedule and budget.
- Provide support to the operators in other accelerators complexes or other sites.
- Set priorities, plan and validate technically the repair or maintenance interventions to be performed on equipment under your responsibility.
- Perform overall analysis of data and information (via CMMS software or by inspections on site) in order to define the maintenance and operation plan.
- Propose adequate technical solutions to user's request, take responsibility of all consequent actions to perform works.
- Ensure the conformity of the CMMS recordings with the work performed in situ.
- Monitor and follow up external contractors' activities to ensure the compliance of actions with the contractual agreements and good practice on technical standards.
- Take part in the stand-by service.
Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation) Job Requirements
Higher technical diploma in the field of electromechanics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrated experience in operation and maintenance of demineralised water production, ventilation, compressed air and chilled water production plants and their processes.
- Experience in managing small systems up to large scale of several MW infrastructures would be an asset.
- Experience in using CMMS software (INFOR EAM or equivalent) and Microsoft Office (mainly Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
The language competencies required are:
- Maintenance & operation of cooling and ventilation installations (production plants and distribution networks); including installation work on cooling, HVAC and compressed air systems.
- HVAC process and regulation.
- Use of maintenance management systems.
- Subcontracting, industrial support (contract supervision).
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of electrical distribution systems: in particular low voltage electrical distribution systems; controls and process automation.
- Configuration, programming and use of Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems: PLC programming knowledge would be an asset.
- Spoken and written English or French with the ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations or willingness to acquire this skill rapidly.
Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation) Application Information
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.01.2018.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation) Summary
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||, , Switzerland