At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Test and Measurements Engineer Job Description
Test and Measurements Engineer for measurement and control systems, including analysis software, for testing of accelerator components and assemblies in the Engineering (EN) department, Survey, Mechatronics and Measurements (SMM) group, Measurement, Test and Analysis (MTA) section.
You will join:
- The Engineering Department that provides CERN with the engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination required for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and dismantling phases of the CERN accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The EN/SMM Group (Survey, Mechatronics and Measurements) responsible for the geodetic metrology of the accelerators, their associated beam transfer lines and detectors, for the whole CERN site. The Group also manages the design and operation of the mechatronics of the CERN accelerator beam intercepting devices (BIDs) as well as the development of robotic solutions for remote inspections and tele-manipulation in radioactive areas. SMM provides support for all measurements, test systems and data analysis applications based on LabVIEW as well as support on radiation tests of electronic components and systems for radiation tolerant design.
- The MTA section is in charge of developing turnkey solutions for measurement, test and control systems based on LabVIEW and provides integration of these systems in the accelerator infrastructure. The section also develops a rapid application development framework (RADE) based on LabVIEW, which includes application interfaces with the accelerator controls infrastructure. It is responsible for analysis software to determine the electrical integrity of the superconducting magnet circuits of the LHC. The MTA section earned the recognition of LabVIEW Centre of Excellence in 2017.
As a Test and Measurements Engineer in the MTA Section, you will:
- Develop and support the software framework for the analysis of LHC electrical circuit data. This framework, based on LabVIEW, provides the means to analyze the electrical integrity of the LHC electrical circuits which include superconducting magnets, current leads, power converters and quench protection equipment.
- Develop data acquisition and equipment control applications based on users' specifications by using LabVIEW together with the section's rapid application development framework (RADE).
- Contribute to integration and support of CERN's standard communication (FESA server and RDA3) and timing (GMT and White Rabbit) systems using LabVIEW real-time.
- Contribute to the development and testing of equipment drivers in C/ C++ on Linux RT.
- Be part of the support team that ensures optimal system operation at the accelerators at CERN.
- Be a member of the CERN-wide LabVIEW support service which serves approximately 600 users.
- Supervise one or several technical engineers and/or technician programmers.
Test and Measurements Engineer Job Requirements
Experience and competencies
- Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of electronic engineering or computer engineering, or equivalent.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Proven experience using LabVIEW (at the certified developer level) for the Linux, Windows and Mac OS X operating systems.
- Experience using C/C++ and code interfacing with LabVIEW.
- Demonstrated experience with PXI and cRIO-based data acquisition and control systems operating with LabVIEW Real-Time and LabVIEW FPGA.
- Prior experience in user support.
- Experience supervising team members is an asset
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Development of graphical real-time software: LabVIEW.
- Graphical FPGA programming: LabVIEW, FPGA.
- Design of real time control system.
- Configuration of digital and analogue acquisition board.
- Programming/software development: in C++ under Linux.
- Development, test and use of equipment drivers under Linux RT (in C and C++)
The language competencies required are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: using knowledge sharing systems and technology.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Test and Measurements Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Test and Measurements Engineer Summary
0 - 2 years
||, , Switzerland
||Linux RT, FPGA Programming, C++