At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation) Job Description
You will join
- The EN Department that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Cooling & Ventilation Group (CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining and operating cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems and large scale fluid distribution systems for the whole Laboratory, in particular in accelerator and experiments underground areas.
- The LHC Section (LHC) within the CV Group in charge of the installation, maintenance and operation activities of CV installations on the LHC accelerator complex; the size of these plants can range from small systems up to large scale of several MW.
As a member of the CV Group, you will be in contact with a wide range of people, collaborating in installation projects and in operation and maintenance aspects of the existing CV plants. You will be expected to follow to completion the activities, with varying degrees of complexity, in these fields. As an autonomous, proactive team player, collaborating with project engineers and various other technicians who are all experts in their own fields, you will:
- Monitor, operate and perform patrols on cooling and ventilation installations (cooling plants, air-conditioning systems, water pumping stations, compressed air and chilled water production units and networks), perform problem analysis and optimize working parameters with respect to operational needs.
- Follow-up on and coordinate construction work on cooling and ventilation installations (water pumping, compressed air, chilled water production, and ventilation systems) to ensure compliance with safety rules, technical standards, contractual documents as well as within the established schedule and budget.
- Provide support to the operators in other accelerators complexes or other sites.
- Set priorities, plan and validate technically the repair or maintenance interventions to be performed on equipment under your responsibility.
- Perform overall analysis of data and information (via CMMS software or by inspections on site) in order to define the maintenance and operation plan.
- Propose adequate technical solutions to user's request, take responsibility of all consequent actions to perform works.
- Ensure the conformity of the CMMS recordings with the work performed in situ.
- Monitor and follow up external contractors' activities to ensure the compliance of actions with the contractual agreements and good practice on technical standards.
- Take part in the stand-by service.
Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation) Job Requirements
Experience and competencies
- Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of electronic engineering or computer engineering, or equivalent.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience using LabVIEW (at the certified developer level) for the Linux, Windows and Mac OS X operating systems.
- Experience using C/C++ and code interfacing with LabVIEW.
- Demonstrated experience with PXI and cRIO-based data acquisition and control systems operating with LabVIEW Real-Time and LabVIEW FPGA.
- Prior experience in user support.
- Experience supervising team members is an asset
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Development of graphical real-time software: LabVIEW.
- Graphical FPGA programming: LabVIEW, FPGA.
- Design of real time control system.
- Configuration of digital and analogue acquisition board.
- Programming/software development: in C++ under Linux.
- Development, test and use of equipment drivers under Linux RT (in C and C++)
The language competencies required are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: using knowledge sharing systems and technology.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States(link is external) and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.04.2018.
Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation) Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation) Summary
0 - 2 years
||, , Switzerland
||CMMS software, PLC programming, French