At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Mechanical Designer Job Description
Are you a qualified mechanical designer? Are you looking to expand your knowledge and acquire more experience by working on a variety of complex mechanical systems? Contribute your skills to the design of future high energy detector components in a dynamic and creative environment applying leading edge technical solutions to the concept, construction and operation of complex, high precision particle detectors. Join CERN's ALICE experiment group. Take part!
As a mechanical designer, you will join the CERN Experimental Physics Department (EP) that carries out basic research in the field of experimental and theoretical particle physics. EP aims at providing a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference for the European physics community. It also contributes to the education and training of young scientists. You will be part of the Technical Coordination Team of ALICE, that is one of the major Experiments of the LHC. ALICE consists of a complex assembly of particle detectors and involves physicists and engineers from 175 physics institutions worldwide.
You will participate in the development of the ALICE upgrade program that foresees the installation of new detectors in 2019-2020 and its operation and maintenance in the following years.
As a member of the ALICE Technical Coordination group, you will work in a dynamic and creative environment under the direct supervision of the ALICE technical coordinator and the ALICE project engineer. The work will consist in applying leading edge technical solutions to the conception, design, construction and operation of complex, high-precision particle detectors as well as heavy structures for ALICE.
- Design mechanical elements, integrated systems and infrastructures for the detectors and prepare drawings for specifications and manufacturing folders in compliance with relevant standards under the supervision of the project engineer.
- Participate as a technical contact in the follow-up of production, acceptance, assembly and installation of components, materials and tools.
- Contribute to assembly and installation studies, and take an active part in the assembly work in the field. Develop associated tooling and procedures as needed.
Contribute to the improvement of the "as-built" documentation of ALICE, and to the study of integration problems by acquiring a direct knowledge of the ALICE underground installation.
Mechanical Designer Job Requirements
Higher technical diploma in mechanics or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in design and production of large-scale, high-precision mechanical systems.
- Proven experience in working with 3D parametric computer-aided design tools, including Dassault Systèmes CATIA_V5.
- Experience in preparation of production drawings and application of ISO standards for dimensioning and tolerances.
- Experience in the selection and application of materials and their manufacturing techniques.
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: 3D and 2D technical drawings with Dassault Systèmes Catia V5; knowledge of the SmarTeam data management system would be an advantage.
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment: mechanical system integration including cabling and piping.
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation: definition of manufacturing method, process, drawing, and control.
- Knowledge of metals and alloys: composition, structure, properties, heat treatments: metals and non-metals (polymers and composite).
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Demonstrating flexibility
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; using time efficiently and effectively.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Additional InformationEligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.10.2018
Mechanical Designer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Mechanical Designer Summary
Micro / Nano Technology
CAE / CAD / CAA
0 - 2 years
2 - 5 years
||Geneva, , Switzerland