At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Software Engineer Job Description
As a Software Engineer in the DS Section, you will join a team to provide software systems to facilitate accelerator fault tracking, infrastructure layout (topology) management, control system configuration, and data acquisition and logging. In this team you will take a major role in the development and evolution of the aforementioned systems which are critical for CERN's mission and used all over CERN. In particular you will:
- Participate in the whole software development lifecycle (requirements, design, development, testing), following a modern agile approach.
- Communicate with the end-users of the services to understand their needs and help translate these into appropriate software solutions.
- Interact with skilled and motivated software engineers on a daily basis to deliver quality results.
- Investigate, diagnose and resolve operational problems.
- Mentor junior developers.
Software Engineer Job Requirements
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing, computer science, software engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in Java development using Spring and JPA.
- Proven experience to build new software systems and evolve existing ones.
- Experience applying software quality assurance techniques and practice with corresponding tools.
- Professional experience with relational databases including a strong knowledge of SQL.
- Development of application software: core software design principles and application development.
- Design of databases/repositories: sQL (Oracle DBMS is a plus).
- Systems integration: integration and testing of components and/or subsystems and their interfaces.
- Application support: provide support of operational systems.
- Technical advice and guidance: working with end users to understand their needs and provide corresponding technical solutions.
Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.10.2019.Employment Conditions
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Software Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Software Engineer Summary
2 - 5 years
||Geneva, , Switzerland
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Next below to continue.Next