EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency. Its role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.)
EUMETSAT is now inviting well qualified candidates from its Member States to apply for the following post:
Copernicus Data Processing Operations Engineer Job Description
This role is rooted in EUMETSAT’s commitment to the European Union's Copernicus Earth observation programme and will provide the opportunity to work with leading IT, Space and Earth Observation organisations and domain experts and to make a positive impact on society!
EUMETSAT operates a fleet of ten Earth Observation satellites in Low Earth and geostationary orbits including two Copernicus Sentinel-3 satellites (Sentinel-3A and -3B) and is preparing for the launch of the Copernicus Sentinel-6 A Michael Freilich satellite end of 2020, and Sentinel-3C in 2023. EUMETSAT also plans to exploit more Copernicus Sentinel satellites after 2025, for monitoring the ocean and CO2 in the atmosphere in support of the Paris Agreement.
Reporting to the Copernicus Data Processing Team Leader, the Copernicus Data Processing Operations Engineer conducts and supports operations of the data processing and product extraction systems for Copernicus missions exploited by EUMETSAT and support the evolutions of these systems.
What we offer
- Coordinate and support operations of the Copernicus payload data processing and product extraction systems delivering Level 0 to Level 2 products, including backlog-processing, anomaly reporting and investigations of anomalies;
- Support the preparation and maintenance of the operational documentation (operations guides, operations interface control documents, operations procedures) for the Copernicus data processing systems;
- Contribute to the performance monitoring and analysis of Copernicus data processing services, including the development of tools for monitoring the quality of products and for the production of Key Performance Indicators;
- Support the medium- and long-term operations planning for Copernicus data processing and product extraction systems;
- Support training activities related to Copernicus data processing;
- Contribute to the further development of EUMETSAT Copernicus payload data processing systems including the definition of operational requirements, validation of upgrades, the assessment of deliveries, and contribute to verification activities;
- Support the operations preparations and commissioning activities for new Sentinel missions exploited by EUMETSAT (e.g. Sentinel 3-C/D, Sentinel-6B, CO2M).
- Excellent salary, of up to Euro 6,500 NET (after tax) based on skills and experience;
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave;
- Full medical coverage for employee and family;
- Attractive pension;
- 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays;
- Training and development support;
- Relocation allowance and support (if applicable).
Copernicus Data Processing Operations Engineer Job Requirements
Skills and Experience
- University degree or equivalent in an engineering or scientifically relevant discipline.
- Proven experience in the operations of complex data processing and/or product processing systems, and experience of development, verification and validation of such systems;
- Significant experience in the real or near real-time acquisition and/or processing of data from space-borne imaging and/or sounding instruments;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, and with a minimum of supervision;
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team working skills;
- Ability to write concise and focused technical reports;
- Very good analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Familiarity with UNIX / LINUX.
- Experience in the following areas would be an advantage:
- Scripting languages (i.e. Python, bash, PERL).
- C / C++, Oracle;
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS) formats;
- Specification, development, and validation of algorithms for meteorological or other remote sensing missions;
- The holder of this post will support 24/7 operations and is therefore required to provide 24 hours a day on-call support including during weekends and public holidays on a regular basis.
Copernicus Data Processing Operations Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Copernicus Data Processing Operations Engineer Summary
2 - 5 years
||Darmstadt , Germany
||computer science engineer, big data, high availability, computer engineering, weather, climate change, data processing