At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Operations Engineer - Cooling and Ventilation Job Description
As an Operation Engineer in the Operations Section, you will be in charge of the operation & maintenance and modification of the existing cooling and ventilation installations in the accelerator complex.
- Monitor and operate installations under the responsibility of the CV Group (cooling plants, air-conditioning systems, water pumping stations, compressed air, chilled water production units and networks).
- Analyse performance and optimize working parameters with respect to operational needs.
- Supervise and coordinate the CERN unit in charge of the operation and maintenance of an accelerator complex within the allocated budget.
- Define the maintenance and operation plan following the operation schedule of the accelerators.
- Analyse data and information pertaining to maintenance (via CMM software and by inspections on site).
- Ensure technical coordination of the work of contractors in charge of the maintenance and installation work, in compliance with contractual clauses and technical standards.
- Set priorities, plan and validate technically the repair or maintenance interventions to be performed on equipment under your responsibility.
- Report periodically on activities, schedules, costs or other issues.
- Propose and define the best possible responses to users' requests and, in collaboration with the personnel of the CV Group, determine appropriate technical solutions for modifications and renovation work.
- Provide support for interventions on cooling and ventilation installations in other accelerator complexes when required.
- Ensure that the technical documentation is kept up-to-date and compliant with the quality standards, and provide relevant information to appropriate services accordingly.
- Ensure the respect of safety rules and conditions for all interventions.
Operations Engineer - Cooling and Ventilation Job Requirements
Masters degree in the field of mechanical engineering, preferably with a specialisation in industrial hydraulics installations, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Extensive experience in the maintenance, operation and installation work of cooling and ventilation plants.
- Experience in management and supervision of a team.
- Proven experience in relations and technical coordination of external companies and contractors.
- Experience in the use of CMMS tools (Infor EAM) and office software work packages (Microsoft Office).
The language competencies required are:
- Organisation, planning and control: coordination of activities involving different technical fields (electricity, mechanical work, heavy handling etc.).
- Contract management.
- Maintenance and operation of water cooling plants, industrial ventilations, distribution network, compressed air production and distribution plants.
- Knowledge of LV network and switchboards.
- Knowledge of control system and process automation.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak French in the professional context.
- Ability to write technical specifications, reports, documentation and to make presentations in English
Operations Engineer - Cooling and Ventilation Application Information
Eligibility and closing date :
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
Founded in 1954 in Geneva, CERN ‐ the European Organization for Nuclear Research is the world's most advanced fundamental research institute for particle physics. Over the last 50 years, it has become a prime example of international collaboration with currently 21 member states.
Please note that we only accept applications from CERN Member State nationals.
Read more about Employment Conditions
Operations Engineer - Cooling and Ventilation Summary
10 - 15 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||Geneva, , Switzerland