Radio Frequency Engineer Job Description
Radio Frequency Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), Radiofrequency group (RF), Superconducting RF (SRF) section.
You will join:
- The Beams Department (BE), which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation.
- The Radio-Frequency (RF) Group (https://be-dep-rf.web.cern.ch/(link is external)) of the BE department, responsible for the operation of all RF systems to accelerate and control the particle beams in all CERN synchrotrons and linear accelerators, including projects for future accelerators and upgrades to the existing installations.
- The Superconducting RF (BE-RF-SRF) Section within the RF Group, responsible for the construction, testing and operation of superconducting RF systems, components and related infrastructure.
As Radio Frequency Engineer in the SRF Section, you will be part of the team working on superconducting RF (SRF) design, construction, testing and operating high performance superconducting radiofrequency resonators and related equipment for CERN's present and future accelerators. Furthermore, you will become part of the team operating the SRF cavities in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), CERN's flagship accelerator. The goal is to work part time on operation and part time on R&D and future projects.
As Radio Frequency Engineer /Applied Physicist in the SRF Section, your main activity will be to follow up operational issues and projects related to SRF components development, from design to commissioning. As a key contact for a number of junior staff members and external partners, you will also act as a technical lead and as the section's representative in committees, inside and outside CERN.
After an adequate learning period, you will:
- On a rotational basis, take part in the stand-by service for the operation of superconducting RF systems.
- Coordinate technical interventions and maintenance efforts on superconducting RF equipment.
- Test, implement and operate SRF components in test facilities, as well as in existing accelerators.
- Design, simulate, prototype and test SRF components, working in collaboration with internal partners.
- Transfer the relevant know-how and procedures to the industrial partners in charge of manufacturing. Ensure technical contract follow-up for supplies and interact with vendors in the event of issues detected during acceptance testing.
- Coordinate contributions from junior staff and external partners, and provide technical guidance and supervision whenever needed.
- Represent CERN in collaborations with other institutes working on SRF for accelerators, in order to share experience and identify common solutions and future developments.
- Produce technical specifications for calls for tenders and follow up procurement of such equipment.
Radio Frequency Engineer Job Requirements
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering or physics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of Superconducting RF.
- Accelerator operation.
- Commissioning & maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Testing and qualification of RF components.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports.Good knowledge of French or willingness to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.08.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Radio Frequency Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Radio Frequency Engineer Summary
Micro / Nano Technology
0 - 2 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||Europe > Switzerland > Geneva, , Switzerland