Senior Software Engineer - Compute Team Job Description
Etsy is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Compute Team. As Etsy rapidly grows, our engineering teams need to enable Etsy's growth while providing innovative ways to improve our systems.
We in the Compute Team build, operate and automate the tools and services for our Etsy engineering organization. We are currently transforming our platform to run on Google Cloud Platform, and develop automation services for the platform as we evolve to become cloud native.
Our team is responsible for the production infrastructure that responds to web browser and API client requests. The infrastructure consists of a LAMP stack with specific optimizations and tuning to support the volume of traffic we receive, as well as the velocity of deploys made by engineers. The team is also the home of growing expertise in container management and orchestration technology such as Kubernetes.
The Compute team is part of the Systems Engineering organisation that is tasked with operations and tool development for our production runtime infrastructure. We partner with engineers to identify areas of improvement in the flow from code development to production deployment as we build the platform that connects millions of sellers and customers.
We're looking for people who are excellent at working with others and are problem-solvers, passionate about software craft.
We value clear communication, honest feedback, and empathy for others. Etsy is actively preparing to move systems to a cloud provider, and this team will play a key role in this work. This is an exciting time to join Etsy, as the engineering team embarks on its next-generation work.
This is a full-time role located in Dublin, Ireland.
Learn more about life at ETSY : https://vimeo.com/147486052
About the Role
- We have just begun our migration journey to Google Cloud Platform
- We apply software engineering techniques and build upon them to orchestrate, automate and provision our apps and services in the platform on Google infrastructure
- Migrate existing systems to containers and apply instrumentation techniques such as tracing to aid in the troubleshooting of applications in containers and shared infrastructure
- Build tools for others to gain insights about their workloads and learn how to best design and build distributed large scale Infrastructure
- We solve problems and work as a distributed team
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally.
- All team members participate in an on-call rotation to continuously identify and automate our services for continuous improvement
Senior Software Engineer - Compute Team Job Requirements
- You understand that being an effective software engineer is as much about communicating with people and understanding the problem to be solved as it is about writing code
- You are passionate about writing code (for example one or more of the following: Go, Ruby, Python, C - we are not too picky!) and use code to contribute to making the platform efficient
- Experience in using Ruby and Chef for automation and workflow development
- You are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- Experience working with LAMP stacks and the ability to problem solve when things are not working as planned
- You have in-depth knowledge of Linux operating systems and have experience of hypervisors, Linux containers and orchestration managers
- Know how and when to make trade-offs when building systems
- You have experience building APIs and adopting micro-service architecture in your design and build of applications and services
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator and can mentor other engineers.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Senior Software Engineer - Compute Team Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Senior Software Engineer - Compute Team Summary
Cloud computing / technology
5 - 10 Years
To apply for this position you will be taken to the recruiter's website. Please click Next below to continue.Next