At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter, the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Fibre Optics Technical Engineer Job Description
As a fibre optics technical engineer in the FC section, you will actively contribute to the continuous extension, consolidation, and maintenance of CERN's optical fibre network constituting the infrastructure for the major communication systems of the various accelerators, including CERN's current leading project: the High-Luminosity Large Hadron Collider (HL-LHC).
- Take responsibility for project preparation and deployment concerning the optical fibre network.
- Organize optical fibre cabling installation campaigns on CERN sites, requiring close and frequent on-site interactions with contractors and CERN users from other Groups/Departments.
- Be in charge of the deployment of the optical fibre management system and related database tools.
- Participate in the design of the optical fibre network and its upgrades in view of improving its reliability and availability.
- Draw up technical specifications and manage industrial supply contracts.
- Select and define optical cabling components, installation methodologies, testing procedures, and naming conventions.
- Prepare data analysis, statistics and forecasting and follow-up project costs and financial plans.
- Provide specialized engineering support to optical fibre users.
- Contribute to copper cabling activities, as required.
Fibre Optics Technical Engineer Job Requirements
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in project management relating to optical fibre installations.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fibre qualification and tests.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optoelectronics components and optical fibre transmission.
The following experience would be an asset:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fibre and signal cabling installation. Ability to deal with contractors and sub-contractors.
- Experience in writing technical specifications and /or scientific publications.
- Practical experience of optical fibre cabling with the blowing method.
- Project management
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: and simulation design software.
- Optical cabling system design and implementation techniques.
- Knowledge of optical transmission fundamentals.
- Knowledge of test and measurement techniques in the optical fibre domain.
Fibre Optics Technical Engineer Application Information
Please apply with your CV and cover letter by the 'apply' button below
Remember - you found this opportunity on Qreer.com
Fibre Optics Technical Engineer Summary
Electro optical communication
0 - 2 years
2 - 5 years
5 - 10 Years
||, , Switzerland
||optical fibre, HL-LHC, optoelectronics, signal cabling installation, Project management, design software, testing, optics, electrical, electronic